What is the best drill press in the market today? For many people, any drill press (DP) that can help them attend to their every day drilling tasks with ease is good. But when it comes to specialized drill jobs where convenience, speed and drilling accuracy matters, an ordinary drill tool just doesn’t make the cut. This is where SKIL SKIL Drill Press 3320-01 120-Volt 10-Inch comes into force.
Basically, this specific Drill Press is used for making precise holes and highly accurate drills. It has adjustable depth stops that allow users to make accurate measurements and repetitive drilling. In addition to the stops, the drill also has a Beam Laser system that allows for precise aligning of the drilling end. But what actually sets SKIL apart is its adjustable, 5-gear speed system that certainly makes the drill suited for use on different material types. There’s also the bump-off switch that reinforces the already existing user safety points. For all its many features the drill has, it’s easy to assume that it requires much power to operate. But converse to this, a 3.2 Amps motor is all that is required for the Drill Press.
Clearly, this model has many great features as to suit any woodwork and cutting tasks. But what are the specific benefits you would stand to gain if you owned it? Here’s a detailed listing of the pros of the SKIL 3320-01 Drill Press Read on.
- 1/2-Inch keyed chuck. Bump-off switch for added safety
- 5 Speeds - 570 - 3,050 RPM
- Adjustable depth stop for accurate measurements and repetitive drilling
- 0-45 Degree Left/Right Tilting Work Surface
- Laser X2 2-beam laser for precise hole alignment
Drill Press Pros
1. It has a laser to guide the 10-inch swing during the drilling process. This makes the drilling tasks easy, highly precise and fast. The 10-inch swing is also strong and therefore suits any form drilling, whether working on soft woods, the harder varieties or even metal drilling.
2. The SKIL Drill Press has a 7 5/8-inch square bed that can be tilted at 45 degrees in either direction. With such a large and flexible working table available, you have an ideal working space for making any type of holes, whatever the wood material you are working on.
3. While there are many different parts to assemble upon purchasing the drill, the assembling instructions are pretty simple to follow through. In fact, it won’t take an hour to piece the different parts of the machine together. Not unless you’re a complete novice with no prior knowledge on drill presses.
4. The lasers come in handy, especially when working in dim light places or when working in early or late hours of the day. This, in addition to the depth guide feature, makes the tool precise.
5. There is also a 5-speed system feature that makes SKIL 3320-01 a huge bargain at its price tag. You can alter the speed setting to suit the task at hand. You would expect the speed adjustment process to be a little involving but interestingly, it’s a three-step simple process, you only need to place the belt on the right pulleys to get it going.
SKIL Drill Press 3320-01 120-Volt 10-Inch Features and Specifications
- A decent 3.2 Amp motor included.
- An adjustable speed pulley system.
- 5-gear speeds to choose from; 570 RPM, 900 RPM, 1390 RPM, 2050 RPM and 3050 RPM.
- LaserX2, laser system for hole alignment.
- A 7 5/8-inch square bed that can be tilted up to 45 degrees on either side for angled drilling.
- A Depth adjustment system for controlling drilling depth.
- Guiding lasers that direct users especially when drilling small holes.
- A drill speed chart that users can refer to based on the materials being worked and the drilling bits in use.
- Easy to realign drive belts.
- Adjustable working surface.
SKIL Drill Press Cons
It’s clear that this product has numerous benefits to boot. It can, however, do much better with some improvement on a few areas mainly the lasers which are battery operated. Basically, the lasers working become intermittent with continued use as the battery charge diminish. This can largely affect the quality of work done since the lasers guide the drilling process. Fortunately, though, the AA batteries used by the lasers are easy to replace.
Who should it?
The Skil 3320-01 is a small benchtop drill press but with capabilities of handling a wide range of drilling tasks. As such, it can be used by home shop owners, carpenters, masons, small garage owners and even plumbers who do small scale drilling tasks often.
Drill Press Conclusion
SKIL Drill Press 3320-01 120-Volt 10-Inch isn’t your ordinary drilling tool. It’s feature laden, ergonomic in design and durable. It’s definitely a go-to tool for all your woodworking and cutting tasks.
Last update on 2020-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API